Orientation to Cardiac Rehabilitation Phase II
We are very happy that you have decided to enroll in the Cardiac Rehab Program at KershawHealth. Please feel free to ask any staff member any questions you may have at any time. Classes are held on Monday-Thursday. Each session lasts approximately one hour. The direct line for Cardiac Rehab is 803-713-6148.
The process of Cardiac Rehabilitation involves several methods and strategies, including nutritional counseling, behavioral modification and educational sessions. Exercise is a central element in the program. Your exercise prescription will be carefully and individually formulated and designed to place demand on the circulatory system. For this reason, it is extremely important you understand this handout and always ask questions when in doubt.
Prior to arriving at the session:
- Eat a light breakfast or lunch at least one hour before, avoiding heavy foods such as doughnuts, pastries, butter, and fried foods.
- Drink water (you may bring a water bottle if you wish) to stay hydrated.
- It is recommended that you avoid caffeine and smoking before coming to class. These are stimulants and tend to abnormally raise your resting heart rate.
- Take your medications at least one to two hours before coming to class. This provides the staff the opportunity to evaluate the medications’ effectiveness.
- If you experience any unaccustomed symptoms of pain, discomfort, or soreness, let the staff know before exercising. If you experience any symptoms during exercise, slow down and inform staff members.
- DO NOT COME TO CLASS IF YOU HAVE A FEVER OVER 101o F, NAUSEA, VOMITING, DIARRHEA, COUGHING, OR SORE THROAT. Just call and inform the staff about how you are feeling. If you are not feeling well, please inform staff before exercise.
- The staff will develop your exercise prescription and you will be monitored with an EKG telemetry unit. Accuracy is essential in determining if you are attaining cardiovascular conditioning.
- Educational sessions will be offered on a weekly basis. Many topics will be covered, including several nutritional aspects, exercise information, risk factor modification, and stress management sessions.
- If your doctor has changed any of your medications, please inform the staff next time you attend a session.
- Remember, your class will begin at ____________. Our staff is relatively small and cooperation in this area will greatly assist us in maintaining a regular and efficient daily regimen. Please inform staff if early dismissal is necessary. If you arrive early, please wait in the lobby until the staff brings you in for your session.
Recommended Exercise Clothing
- Shoes- Wear low-cut walking or running shoes with good arch support and at least ½ inch soles. Quality shoes are a good investment when beginning an exercise program. Absolutely NO sandals or flip-flops or slick-bottomed shoes will be permitted.
- Socks- Always to be worn while walking or jogging. Any comfortable all-cotton brand will be sufficient.
- Shirt and pants- Remember, loose fitting and comfortable clothing is best. Layers are great in cooler weather, since you can remove them for class and replace them to go outside.
Please refrain from wearing any cologne, perfume, scented lotion, or powders. Our patients and staff may have sensitivities to such things.
In case of an emergency, the session may have to be dismissed. The staff will be doing everything possible to give emergency treatment.
We ask that family, friends and other visitors not come into the exercise sessions to protect the privacy of other patients. The sessions are for the staff to provide care for the patient. Family, friends, and visitors are encouraged to come to the educational sessions with the patient. Please feel free to ask questions at any time.